Translate

Friday, March 15, 2013

Friends or Fans

The distinction between a "friend" and a "fan" has become some blurred since the inception of Facebook. Almost immediately after launch, the phenomenon of racing to get more and more and more friends began. I admit, it confused me for quite a long time as to how or why anyone would have 500, 750, or even 1000 "friends" on a social site. The whole point of using such a site was to communicate in one location to all friends and family, but who seriously has that many people to keep connected too? Then it dawned on me. Bing! Light bulb moment. These people are not their friends, but fans. If you look closely, the ones with these crazy numbers of friends tend to be the ones with the most drama. The ones who are constantly complaining, throwing fits, or posting racy photos of themselves. These people are simply in it like watching a daytime talk show, or soap opera. They are simply in it for the drama. And the ones with these high numbers of Facebook friends, tend to be quite anti-social and so negative to be around, that in real life, they have no true friends, so they thrive on the attention of these spectators that are attracted to their bullshit like moths to a flame.So the next time you scratch your head wondering why the craziest people tend to have such high numbers, remember, it is merely the Jerry Springer effect. I can at least say, I know they people on my lists, I socialize regularly with them. And just like here, I love them all.

Burly Bear Chris

No comments: