Translate

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Santa! What a Big Package You Have!

The final few days of this years Christmas shopping is upon us. Time to make those lists and check it twice. And if I am not on it, my favorite color is red, lol. But it is also time to rethink what you have bought had honestly ask yourself, "Will they like it?" The lines at the stores for returns are FILLED with gifts that the presenter simply did not ask that simple little question. How many times have you thought to yourself, "Really? This really made you think of me?" as you put on that fake smile and politely said, "Aww you shouln't have!", hoping that it does not come across as, "No, really, you should not have given me this."?
When the subject of worst Christmas gifts ever comes up, I have no problem thinking of mine. It was the year I had just turned 16. I had gotten my driver's permit. Someone had told me that I was getting a car, don't remember if it was a sister or someone else, but anyway, I was so excited I could not wait! My father was a car salesman, so I just knew that he would pick out the best for me. A Mustang, or even a truck! The anticipation was torture! Worse then those years earlier when I couldn't wait to see what Santa brought me! Finally Christmas day arrived. My sisters and I woke up early, each in our rooms waiting by the door. We had a rule, no one was to leave their room until we all as a family headed to the Family Room. When my parents let us go we all ran to the tree. I tried to act as if I did not know what was coming. I picked up one of the small gifts for me and before I could unwrap it, my mom said "Wait!" I looked up and my dad was at the back curtain, as he began to open them, the excitement in me was about to burst out like a pinata. And then, there it was. My first car! a 1974, pumpkin orange, Ford Pinto. I tried, oh how I tried, to keep that excitement alive, but they saw through it. Then I felt terrible for feeling terrible. Here I was at 16 with a car, any car should have been great. The rest of my gifts that year were all items for the car. Seat covers, floor mats, key chain, license plate frame, etc. I couldn't help but think that damn car had a better Christmas then I did.Anyway, that was my worst gift, what was yours? Leave comments bellow and don't be afraid to share. Thanks for reading.

Burly Bear Chris

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chris - weird that I don't know you better since I was pretty good friends with both of your sisters. I remember that pinto - I beleive I snuck into a drive in or 2 in the "trunk". It bottomed out on the speed bumps in the Novi parking lot if there were too many of us in the car. And then we would blame it on each others fat asses. Thanks for sharing how it was introduced into your family - good story.

Unknown said...

Hi Pam!
Thanks for reading and glad you enjoyed the memories with me!