Translate

Friday, January 4, 2013

In Need Of Comfort

Well all have those days when you just need that warm hug from the pantry. Whether it be suffering a cold, anger from a bad day, or feeling the blues, we all have a favorite dish or dishes that just make us feel better. It doesn't matter what the calories are. How much fat it has. All that matters it the feeling of comfort and love. Comfort foods tend to take us to a time of being pampered. A time when mom, dad, grams, etc, would know just the right thing to chase the yucky away. When ever I was sick as a child, my mom would get me a Western Bacon Cheeseburger, fries and a vanilla shake from Carl's Jr. I would dip my fries into the shake. Sounds gross, but boy, did it always make me feel better. As I got older, she would make my favorite meal for my birthday every year. Meatloaf, potato salad and cream corn. No one can make them they way she can. Trust me, I have tried and tried and can never get them just the way she does. When my grandmother was still with us, she would make stuffed cabbage rolls. She would call it pigs in a blanket, not to be confused with the biscuit wrapped hot dogs of the same name. As a kid I did not care for the cabbage and she would make a special on just for me sans blanket.  These are my comfort foods. Just thinking of them makes me feel warm and cozy on the inside. I recently had a cold and the first thing I did was take a trip to Carl's. No matter how old I get, when feeling bad, I revert to a childlike state and want these things to feel better. What are your comfort foods? Have you been able to recreate them? Leave a comment and let me know. Love to all.

Burly Bear Chris

2 comments:

dick said...

chocolate makes me feel good...or a ultimate cheeseburger from Jack in the Box does too..lol

Unknown said...

Nice!