Translate

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Do You Believe In Magic?

I, like millions of others, woke up this morning and turned my attention to the Rose Parade. I was okay until the Disneyland float appeared. I teared up. Tears of pride. I am so full of pride for all Disney does. Tears of sadness. I miss being a part of that magic everyday. Tears of joy. It makes me happy that so many of my dear friends continue to make that magic.I know you are probably thinking I am just a sentimental fool. Well, that may be true. But unless you truly understand what Disney Magic means to me, you would not understand. So I will do my best to explain what Disney Magic means to me. I was fortunate enough to grow up with Disneyland so close. I don't think there was ever a year that we did not go at least once. I always said, "Someday, I am going to work here." So of course after high school, my sister and I applied. She got the job, I didn't. I was crushed. But as I have said before, everything happens for a reason. I got my first annual pass. I used that thing so much I practically lived there. (I can still remember the Party-Gras parade step for step) While working there my sister met her husband. She also became pregnant and gave birth to my first and beautiful niece. A few years later she was diagnosed with Autism. My sister left Disney to be a stay at home mom to raise my niece and her second child, my incredible nephew. My sister never lost her Disney spirit and this carried on with her children. As my niece grew older she developed a deep connection with all things Disney. For those who are not familiar with Autism, you can read about it here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002494/ , but for those who are, you know it is rare to see a reaction that brings them out of their shell, become so enthralled and happy. Witnessing this "Magic" of transformation coming from my niece drove me even harder then ever to be a part of that Disney magic. I was hired in at opening of the newly expanded resort into Downtown Disney Stores. Words can not describe how excited I was. The days were long. The shifts were tough.   I loved every minute of it. I did my best to bring laughter and happiness to the faces to all, and especially those of families with special needs. Unfortunately my knee could not keep up with my excitement and after several years, I had to leave my position there. Like my sister before me, I keep that Disney Spirit with me every day. I will never forget being a part of the magic that made my niece, and so many like her, so very happy. To look at the smile on her face and say to myself, "Wow, I did that!" is the best reward any job can give. So for those of you who think Disney Magic is a marketing gimmick, try looking through those special eyes of hers. And for my friends who get to continue in the traditions, I envy you, and never let the light that shines from you dim. Happy New Year. Love to all.

Burly Bear Chris

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Chris. Princess Adrian loves you!

Unknown said...

Thank you and I love the Princess too :)

dick said...

Aaawe I promise to continue the magic for all the children of the world!