Translate

Sunday, January 13, 2013

What It Is Like To Be An Empath

For those who are unaware, an Empath, in the most simplest of definitions, is someone who is overly sensitive to emotions and feelings and can feel other's as if they were their own. For the longest time I was told, and believed myself, that I was just a very "sensitive" person. One who was easily made to laugh and to cry. I also noticed that people, even perfect strangers, would have no problem opening up to me and telling me what was bothering them. I never knew the two could be connected, until I learned about Empaths. No only can Empaths feel the emotional burdens of others, but others can naturally be drawn to them to help ease those burdens. A perfect example of this happened one time when I was about 19. I was walking through the neighborhood on my way to a carnival being held at a local park. A complete stranger was walking the other way on the opposite side of the street. He crossed the street and started talking to me as we walked. After they "heys" and "hows it goings" he suddenly started telling me how he and his girlfriend had just split and how much pain he was feeling. Now this guy was a rather tough looking guy with that "Don't screw with me" look about him. Suddenly he started to cry. Not a little tear and a sniff, but full on bawling. We stopped and I just listened to him. After he finished his story he suddenly came to his senses, looked around and said he could not understand why he told me all this or what made him feel he could and just took off. Had it not happened to me before, I would have sworn someone was playing a joke on me it was so surreal. As long as I can remember I have been the one people confided in. As I got older I began to notice that not only could I listen to them, I could feel them. And it is not just emotions but physical pain too. Sometimes its hard being able to tell my pain from the pain of loved ones. There has been times I have awoke with an unusual pain and called family to be sure it wasn't them. About half the time, it is. I don't want you to think its all about pain either. I can feel happiness, joy, confusion, and fear too. I can also sense nature coming on. Even as a child I knew when and where an earthquake would hit. My mother tells a story of when I was just a baby, months after being born. I was crying and fussing all day and night and no matter what she did, nothing worked. That night a rather large earthquake hit. as the shaking stopped, I fell asleep and quit fussing. Could I sense it? I don't know. Based on what I have experienced in my life that I do remember, chances are yes I could. One of the best things about being an Empath is the ability to tell when I am being lied to. I can sense the nervousness of being caught. That's not to say I can "always" tell when it is happening, it all depends on how the other person feels about the lie and how sensitive I am at the time. The sensitivity is not constant and can change with my own emotions or fatigue. Anyway, that is a short introduction into the life of an Empath. If you have any questions or have had similar experiences, feel free to contact me. Love to all.

Burly Bear Chris

No comments: