Translate

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Stalkers And Creepers

So I had a rather scary experience this past week involving a stalker turned creeper. It all started with a simple "hello". I know that by putting myself out there with this blog and the use of social media sites that I run the risk of attracting the attention of a stalker or two, but, to be honest, who doesn't. Most turn out to be harmless shy folks who just need to work on their interpersonal skills. But this one turned out to be quite a bit more then that. I, as a rule of thumb, would usually respond to any and all messages. That's just the type of person I am. I was raised that it was polite to respond when someone is talking to you. So it started last week with me getting a message from someone that said hello. So I responded with a hello back. No big whoop. Right away I was asked if I was single. I explained I was dating someone. So this person asked if we could be friends, so I said sure. Who turns away a potential friend? This person mentioned they would be in my area in a few days and asked if we could meet. I said sure, and mentioned a public place we could meet at. I know enough to never meet anyone for the first time at your home. Over the course of a few days, I noticed the questions being asked of me were getting rather personal but the questions I was asking were getting overlooked and unanswered. It began to creep me out so I told this person I needed to cancel meeting them for coffee. This statement was ignored. And on top of that this person began calling me by rather intimate terms of endearment. So again I said I was canceling on them. And again it went unnoticed. So I did what we are all taught to do. I blocked this person. That's when is really began getting scary. First came an email (I am still not sure how it made it through the block) quite angry with me for blocking and for ruining this persons trip out to see me. Wait! What? The trip was supposed to see family, not me! The email went on to say what a bad person I was for destroying our relationship and dumping this person right before the trip. Again, what!? Relationship? That's when I began to see just how creepy this person was. So again, I blocked. Then messages began coming in on other websites. First telling that it is all a big misunderstanding and to please reply. Then getting angry again and telling me how horrible I am. So I block on those sites too. Not to mention reporting for harassment. Then comes yet another email. This one says that the internet is to blame and that when this person arrives, we WILL meet, and once we do I WILL be made to love this person as much as they love me. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't we hear stories like this whenever a body is found in the Angeles National Forest? Then the phone calls start. At this point I am now officially beyond creeped out. I make copies of all the messages and conversations. I tell my friends to check up on me. I lock myself up in my place afraid to leave the house. As of now, there has been no other attempts to contact. So why am I telling you all this?  I am telling you all this for a few reasons. First, to inform you all that there are people out there like this. Does this mean you have to be distrustful of everyone? No. Just look for the warning signs early on. Save copies of conversations. Let others know what you are doing and who you are talking to. And above all else, never give out personal information to anyone! Secondly, I am telling you this because I have learned a valuable lesson here. At first I thought that I would have to change who I was to protect myself better. Not true. I can still be the friendly and respectful person I was before, I just protect myself a little better from now on. I will still answer a hello. Am I afraid this will encourage more contact from the creeper? No. Because I am now ready to take it to law enforcement if this person tries again and will not hesitate to press charges. If anyone else has had issues like this and are willing to discuss them with me, please leave a message so that our experiences may help others. Love, and caution, to all.

Burly Bear Chris

No comments: